Thought For The Day:
“HR is nothing less than civil rights and human rights.” If you think that’s nuts, you’ll enjoy today’s article: Accuracy and Trust. If you think it’s smart, you might like the article anyway.
- Facebook: no longer a walled garden?
Is Facebook going to evolve into a real platform and let the outside in? Longtime social media critic Jon Lebkowski thinks so.
- Informing Ourselves To Death
A speech by one of my heroes, Neil Postman.”Here is what Henry David Thoreau told us: “All our inventions are but improved means to an unimproved end.” Here is what Goethe told us: “One should, each day, try to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it is possible, speak a few reasonable words.” And here is what Socrates told us: “The unexamined life is not worth living.” And here is what the prophet Micah told us: “What does the Lord require of thee but to do justly, and to love mercy and to walk humbly with thy God?” And I can tell you — if I had the time (although you all know it well enough) — what Confucius, Isaiah, Jesus, Mohammed, the Buddha, Spinoza and Shakespeare told us. It is all the same: There is no escaping from ourselves. The human dilemma is as it has always been, and we solve nothing fundamental by cloaking ourselves in technological glory.“
- Social Networks & Blogs More Popular than Email (Get a copy of the research)
- One in every 11 minutes online globally is accounted for by social network and blogging sites.
- The social network and blogging audience is becoming more diverse in terms of age: the biggest increase in visitors during 2008 to “member community” Web sites globally came from the 35-49 year old age group (+11.3 million).
- Mobile is playing an increasingly important role in social networking. UK mobile Web users have the greatest propensity to visit a social network through their handset, with 23% (2 million people) doing so, compared with 19% in the US (10.6 million people). These numbers are an increase over last year – up 249% in the UK and 156% in the US.
- The 10 Major Newspapers That Will Either Fold or Go Digital Next
- Digging RecruitingBlogs.com v2.08 Is Sourcing Dead?
220 Comments into the conversation, the topic took a new shape yesterday.
I’m on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Friendfeed. Catch up with me.