In the Know v1.08
Five Links to prod your thinking about HR
- How a New Jobless Era Will Transform America
A long essay about the consequences of long term structural unemployment on the workforce. A gloomy but important topic for long term workforce planning.
- Facing Up To The Demographic Crisis
strategy+business is BoozAllen’s magazine of business issues and strategy. It’s one of the best business sources online. (I get the print edition).”between 1950 and 2000, the percentage of the world population older than 60 rose almost imperceptibly to 10 percent from 8 percent. By 2050, however, that percentage will more than double, to 21 percent. And in many countries — notably Japan and those in western Europe — the share of population age 60-plus will be more than 40 percent by mid-century.” Demographics (of labor supply and markets) will be the dominant business issue of the coming century. This panel was held in China and has a global focus.
- How Much Do You Hate Performance Reviews?
Bob Sutton Lays the groundwork for a new book on performance review fallacies.Forced rankings and other methods that encourage deep workplace competition undermine management and spoil collaboration.
- Crowd Control
From CFO Magazine. When Motorola introduced a new suggestion system, it generated 10,000 ideas in a short time. The problem was what to do with all of the creativity and input. The company created a prediction market to help sift through the ideas. A great example of internally harnessing the wisdom of the company.
- Companies that Measure Social Media, Influence, and Brand
Web strategist, Jerimiah Owyang, identifies a long list of providers of social measurement. If you’re following the influence project, these are interesting resources for making the work a part of your company.
- Jim Collins New Book Explains why his first book “Built to Last” wasn’t so right. It’s a good franchise when you get to sell back and forth.
- A Better Way To Fix Banker’s Pay. Compensation issues are everywhere these days.
Page 1 of 11